Monday, September 2, 2013

It's Begun!

It’s been a great day. I started work around 8:30 this morning and only now after the sun has been down for several hours, have I retreated to my room. It has been a long day, but so rich and full. Many students here are leaving home for the first time. Some excited, others constantly on the edge of tears. Life as they knew it has been left behind and college is about to start.

Today was a day of “firsts” for many here. For some of the students it is the first time they will be living in a different province, house, or country than their families. For others it is the first time they have pushed themselves this far out of their comfort zone knowing that God has something big for them here.  Excitement and nervousness lingers in the halls and in the faces of each student.

As each day has gone by, last week with Student Leader Training, and today as we welcome the students, I have been made aware that this job is a blessing. I am joyfully anticipating each day, each conversation, each bit of shared laughter, each prayer, tear, cup of tea, walk through the park, and crazy adventure that lies ahead. I anticipate the Lord is doing some pretty unique and big things in the lives of the students He brought here, and I am honored to be a part of it.

Although I am “home” now, work is not far off. It literally waits for me on the other side of my door. So for myself I anticipate a year of learning what it looks like to take opportune moments to connect as well as retreat and abide. And now I will retreat, place my head on my pillow, shut my eyes and thank the Lord for this opportunity. Lord, I give you my time, these students, and all the feelings that are swirling about in my heart. Thank-You for what you are doing here, let the adventure begin. 

Taking a break from decorating the Student Development Center with the Resident Leaders for a quick photo op.

No comments:

Post a Comment