Tuesday, December 7, 2010

living in plenty or in want. What does it look like to be a good steward of financial resources?

"I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want."
Philippians 4:12

It is easy to see why it would be difficult to be content while living "in want". I've been thinking about it for a while now and am wondering what it means to know how to live with everything, or as many of us in North America are so blessed, with more than everything. We have more than what we need and more than what we even know what to do with. Is it easier to be content when you have more than what you need? Often I find myself wanting more or something else, when really, I have more than enough. This is a journey I have been on for quite some time. I'm trying to go through my "stuff" and get rid of or give away what I don't want and don't need. Those things I thought I needed, but really haven't used or worn in years. I've been finding it a lot harder than I had originally thought. While I've managed to get rid of some things, I'm finding it difficult to know where to begin again, or in some cases, where to stop.

When it comes to money and tithing...touchy subject I know. I've been thinking a lot about what it means to be a good steward of the money I have, and the money I don't have. I never wanted to have student loans, but they are something I acquired over my four years as a college student. The question that has been gnawing at me recently is: Is it being a good steward of finances to tithe the money that I don't have? Meaning: Is it ok, now that I have a job and am working towards paying off my student loans, to give some of the money I earn away to those in need? Is it wise to be renting an apartment or putting gas in the car, when the money I earn doesn't belong to me because I have debt to pay off? Maybe I should have asked these questions before I took out student loans.

What do YOU think it means to be content when "living in plenty"? What do you think it looks like to be a good steward?

No comments:

Post a Comment